For nearly three decades, Pearson and Associates has maintained a strong research interest, with special emphasis on petrographic prediction of coke quality (1, 2, 3, 4, 9); automated microscopy (5, 6, 7, 8, 9); development of new methods of data interpretation (5); and reactivity of inertinites in western Canadian coal (3, 9).
Dr. Pearson delivered papers at Iron & Steel Society annual conferences in Washington (1990), Toronto (1992 & 1998), & Chicago (1994). Both Dave & Jen Pearson are actively involved in the International Committee for Coal and Organic Petrology – ICCP. Between 1990 and 1994, and from 2001 to 2008, Dave Pearson was convenor of the ICCP’s Working Group on Automation.
Some published papers on coal include:
- Anomalous coking properties of the Wolgan Seam, NSW, Australia. 1980 Fuel. Vol 59 438-440
- Quality of western Canadian Coking Coal. 1980. CIMM Bull.Vol 73. 70-84.
- Rank variation, coalification pattern and coal quality in the Crowsnest coalfield, British Columbia. 1985. CIMM Bull. Vol 78. 39-46.
- Reactivity of Inertinite (coal-typing) of western Canadian Coals. 1985 International Conference on Coal Science, Sydney, Australia. Proc.907-908.
- Influence of Geology on CSR (Coke Strength after Reaction with CO2). 1989. In Advances in western Canadian Coal Geoscience. Alberta Research Council Info. Series 103. 174-183.
- Probability analysis of Blended Coking Coals. 1991. Int. J. Coal Geology Vol 19. 109-119.
- Probability Statistics in the Monitoring of Coal Blends. 1991 (Washington) Ironmaking Conference Proceedings, 50-51.
- High speed automated petrographic analysis of coke battery charges. 1992 (Toronto) Ironmaking Conference Proceedings, 50-51.
- Numerical Modeling of Reflectance of Coking Coals. 1994 (Chicago) Ironmaking Conference Proceedings, 50-51.
- Fusible Inertinites in Coking Coals. 1998 (Toronto) ICSTI/Ironmaking Conference Proceedings, 753-75
- Bireflectance Mapping and Automated Petrographic Analysis of Metallurgical Coke, 2012 (Atlanta) Association of Iron & Steel Technology Conference Proceedings, 247-251.
- Application of Automated Petrographic to Characterize Quality Distribution in Slot-Oven and Non-Recovery Coke Ovens, 2012 (Rio De Janeiro) ICSTI/Ironmaking Conference Proceedings.
- The Petrography of Metallurgical Coke, 2013 (Pittsburgh) Association of Iron & Steel Technology Conference Proceedings, 293-306.
Posters and Marketing Material